Tuesday, March 27, 2007

What glee

It's nice to have a sister in college. And she's older and nice. And actually fun. Right from the time she started relating stuff about the college, the teachers, the atmosphere, she got me psyched. Enough to make me choose an all-girls college, which wasn't exactly my idea of a 'proper' college. Sure, it was LSR, but... It was not part of the campus, NO guys... NO campus life... NO going-to-other-college-canteens-everyday. All the way to the other end of the city to watch a decent college play. No momos point, no Kamla Nagar, no chhole-waalla, no free transport. But I was still psyched to go to college--for she got me to be.
I entered college knowing she would be there, knowing I always had her if I ended up with first-year jitters. It was because of her that I went for the department trip, because of her that I wasn't intimidated by the presence of all my seniors (like I've always unfortunately been), because of her that I eased in to college life. I was happy, and eager, because her presence in college was, somehow, always comforting. Though I barely saw her each day, it was the security of having her around, somewhere in the other English rooms, or about the college, that made me breathe easy. Every time I was uncertain about something that was happening in college, I always had the assurance in the back of my mind, "Oh, I'll call Koyel up."
She was the first person to make me feel wanted in a new place, in the midst of unfamiliar walls and unfamiliar faces. Though I did make my own set of friends, and fit into my new environment without any hiccups, it was the security of having her to fall back on that made the transition so fluid. And even though I've found, like all the others have, the joys of keema samosa, M-block, sev-puri waalla, rickshaws where everyone's fare unfailingly always comes to a nice round figure of five rupees, even then her presence carries much more joy to me than any of these.
More than the need of someone like her to be around is the assurance that she is, indeed, around. The functional aspect of having her near is grossly overshadowed by the simple perception of her presence.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) You have no idea how nice that made me feel :) And you have no idea how nice it is for me to have a sister in college too :) Its been something I've wanted ever since Carmel, heh heh. You're right, I don't meet you so often in college, but the very fact that you are around, is so..right:) Love you and thanks :)

kyra said...

*gives one of her rare smiles*

ami said...

*grins like an idiot to both sporadic and kyra*





*still grinning*

Confused n Baffled said...

@sporadic: aww..its a whole testimonial!

Anonymous said...

Gud 2 hr tht u’ve found a person at ur coll. Who was there 2 guide u at ur coll.
Evn I did, through gaming. Making Btech pple as ur frnds is a gr8 boost as all of them r afraid of them so no1 messes wid me arnd.
He’s my Mentor in counter strike n coll. Champ n helps me out on computer related queries…
N told me which sort of pple shud I b beware of

Seniors r awesome only those who help d juniors us others r jst waste

Me n my frnds r givin’ them a party 4 being there 4 us cauz it’s his last yr. at coll.
May b u’ll do tht 2. .

Anonymous said...

@confused and baffled- shaddup :)

ami said...

@ Nickx

That's all very sweet and all but I think you missed the whole point of the post. I'm not that utilitarian.