Monday, November 05, 2007

The calm before the storm.

Today is long rambling post day. Not just because Nishant seems to almost be readying himself to throw death radars my way, but just because there's a strange sense of disquiet about me. College fest has just ended, tomorrow classes will be subdued and corridors filled with whisphered exchanges of what happened in the three days of the year that some relive again and again till they come again next year. We will trudge towards the cafe, there will be a hurried scramble for incomplete notes, posters will be pulled down to be replaced by new, roughly sketched ones. The corridors will be wiped clean, removing all traces of the rangoli competition, hurrying footsteps will head to respective classes. Soon things will be back to normal, college will be filled with it's infinite activities and other, new events will occupy everyone's minds.

I'd like college quiet again. I had tremendous fun having people come. I liked seeing new faces in a familiar place, familiar faces in a new place. Tomorrow I want to buy a customary cup of coffee and sit in a bench that has been covered by a stall on all the days of the fest. Probably the only thing I don't like about my fest is that all the places that would never be occupied are suddenly hotspots. The campus is suddenly smaller, more crowded. Everyone is extra friendly, extra affectionate. Walking alone means you don't have company and someone inevitably supplements, considering it their moral duty. I love company, but a sudden overdose leaves one slightly fatigued, if not irritable.

But stuff being forced on you isn't always too bad. Sometimes temporary analgesics give you an immense high that leave you giggling for hours. Whats inevitable though, is a crash. There has to come a time when you have to stop to catch your breath. The headrush is brilliant, but not when you achieve it only by trampling down anything that threatens to weigh you down. It inevitably comes back. Lighthearted comedy is easy while it lasts.

I am suddenly hungry, I dont like this post. I received the nicest compliment today. It's surprising how you know what you want only after you get it. And kind of saddening when you wish they'd come from quarters you most want them from. Maybe its time I realised I don't deserve some of these things I constantly hanker for.

1 comment:

esperante said...

Hmm. I have words to reply to this, but they don't come to me. I know what you mean. I do.

*hugs*