Monday, July 09, 2007

Memory, tonight. Sometimes.

Everything comes back now. That evening, when you wore that dress. You sparkled, every time you laughed. We played that song over and over, while everyone around us laughed. You dazzled that night. You laughed while I whispered words only meant for you. You punched me on my chest, and I held your hand there, until you self consciously snatched it away. We pledged forever that evening, even as you walked away with him on your arm. I knew you, I loved you. You blew me a kiss while he started the engine. I was left wistful as my guests walked away, throwing me secret smiles. They all knew, they all saw. But you chose to walk away. Now I shiver. My forever was you.

I hum the same tune now, except it’s for someone else. I still think of that evening, until she screams from the waves and asks me to come to her. I shake my head, and jog to where she stands. She taught me to love the water, and now it laps up to my ankles while another wave sprays me with the fresh fragrance that I have come to love. The rocks are slippery, and we hold each other’s hands and gaze at the miles of water in front of us. It is getting late, and we should get back, but I can’t leave now. We stand silently, until she turns to me and asks softly, what were you thinking right then, back there? I’m confused for a moment to be found out like this. Like a guilty child, I try covering up with awkward explanations. She shushes me with a gentle stroke. She looks towards the water again, and I look at her. She knows nothing. And yet she does. I lose her, eventually. Now I come to the water alone. And think of nothing.

2 comments:

InExile said...

Strange Deja Vu...

ami said...

@ inexile

Really ? Yikes.